Revelation 22:12 (KJV): “And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.”
COMMENTARY: Please know that God wants you to labor and to enjoy the fruits of your labors. He is a faithful, just, fair and perfect “employer.” He knows all and sees all. He rewards those who diligently labor for Him. In the eternal Big Picture, you can bank on it.
APPLICATION: Here is what God’s Employee Benefits Package looks like:
(1) If you labor, you’ll profit (Proverbs 14:23). If you don’t, you won’t.
(2) If you labor, you’ll be happy (Psalms 128:1-2). If you don’t, you won’t.
(3) If you labor, your needs will be supplied (Acts 20:33-35, Eph. 4:28). If you don’t, they won’t.
(4) If you labor, your sleep will be sweet (Ecclesiastes 5:12). If you don’t, it won’t.
(5) If you labor in the Lord, your labors will never be a waste (1 Cor. 15:58). If you don’t, they may be.
Enjoy and celebrate time off, but return to work with the right attitude. God will bless you if you maintain a strong work ethic over the course of your career and lifetime.
For Further Exploration
For further exploration about 1 Samuel 17:37 (KJV)，read David’s Rise to Power (1 Samuel 17-30) from the Theology of Work Bible Commentary.